HM Submarine Grampus
The Navy first used the name Grampus in 1731, the submarine Grampus was the 10th to bear this name.
She was laid down on No.7 Slipway at Chatham Dockyard on 20 August 1934. She was launched on 25 February 1936 and completed on 10 March 1937.
Grampus was one of five in her class of Submarine. Originally intended to be Porpoise class, the five boats were to be the same specification as Porpoise but they were changed and built with internal fuel tanks.
There still appears much confusion as to the name of this class of submarine. They are known as Porpoise, Narwhal or Grampus class depending on your source of information. Since Grampus was built in Chatham and this is the East Kent website, we will call them GRAMPUS class.
They were 5' greater in length, 4'6" less beam but with an increased displacement over the Porpoise.
One other Grampus Class boat, Seal was also built at Chatham.
Grampus had a short career of just 39 months.
Spending almost her entire life in the 4th Flotilla, she had just two commanding officers:
Lt Cmd R.W Moir commissioned Grampus in 1937 and remained in command until 1939 when Lt Cmd C.A Rowe took over.
When the war in Europe began Grampus was in Singapore. From the 13 September to 3 October 1939 she was on patrol in the Sundra Straits, returning to Singapore. Leaving Singapore on the 14 October she returned on the 6 November. Another patrol from 2 to 16 of December saw her off the West Coast of Sumatra searching for the Graf Spee.
On return Grampus was in Singapore until late March 1940 when she was ordered to the Mediterranean. Arriving in Alexandra on 22 May, she was one of six submarines sent to Malta. She was soon to make her last dive. Grampus sailed on her first and last patrol from Malta, leaving 11 June to lay mines. On 13 June she successfully laid her mines off Augusta. On 16 June Grampus was depth charged by two Italian torpedo boats off Syracuse.
Grampus was lost with all hands (her Commanding Officer, four other officers and 53 crew)