HM Submarine X1
Laid down on 1 November 1921 X1 was launched by Mrs Kiddle on 16 June 1923.
From her completion in September 1925 to March 1926, X1 carried out trials and operated from Chatham. Her dockyard movements during this time are shown below.
On completion of trials she moved to the Mediterranean and there she remained until returning home for a refit in 1930.
In February 1931 an engine room explosion injured 12 crew and just six days later, the boat was reduced to one third crew. Transferred to the Reserve Fleet in 1934 she was then scrapped in December 1936.
X1 was the largest submarine in the world when launched. Not only was she the largest submarine to be built at Chatham, she was also the largest submarine built for the Royal Navy before Nuclear submarines were launched.
More information can be found in the Class Menu at the top of this page.