Oberon: Prototype Patrol Submarine
Oberon was a development of the L Class submarines and the prototype for the Odin Class.
Designed for operations in the Far East, she was of the saddle tank build and with a thicker pressure hull than previous boats.
Diesel oil was stored in riveted tanks external to the pressure hull. Leakage of oil leaving traces on the surface was common place and the tanks were later welded to correct the problem.
The pressure hull was divided by 6 watertight bulkheads. the galley and the heads, were enclosed by the casing and on top of the pressure hull. Also carried under the casing was a 13½ foot motor dinghy.
Oberon was the first submarine designed and fitted with Asdic, passive detection was provided for by the installation of type 709 hydrophones.
Designed for quick diving, she was fitted with a Q tank and reached periscope depth in a little over 1 minute.
Although designed for Far East operations, Oberon spent most of her life operating in Home Waters, the exception being three years in the Mediterranean. From 1941 to the end of the war Oberon was used for training duties,
Oberon was scrapped in August 1945, eighteen years to the day, after her commissioning.